Abortion America's n°1 Killer
by Pastor Greg Wilson
There is currently at work in our nation a most dangerous killer. It consistently takes more lives than any disease, famine, or war we have ever faced.
Every month this killer takes more American lives than were lost in the entire Vietnam War. Every six months more die from its relentless onslaught than in all our previous wars combined or in all the fatal automobile accidents of the past twenty years. Every 2 to 3 years it claims more victims than the Nazi Holocaust.
Incredibly, this monumental devastation is carried out by medical professionals and is completely preventable. The name of this vicious serial killer is ABORTION.
God will not hold this nation guiltless for this great bloodbath. Indeed, the Bible tells us that He hates “hands that shed innocent blood” (Proverbs 6:16-17). Certainly, there can be none more innocent than the unborn.
Abortion advocates ignore these innocent victims of abortion. Testimony given at U.S. government sponsored public hearings indicated that in the so-called family planning clinics: “The baby is dehumanized as much as possible by being termed a ‘blob,’ ‘products of conception’ or ‘uterine contents.’ Not even the term fetus is used by counselors.”
God however has a different view of the unborn. He told the prophet Jeremiah, “Before I formed thee in the belly I knew thee; and before thou camest forth out of the womb I sanctified thee, and I ordained thee a prophet unto the nations.” (Jeremiah 1:5). He said of John the Baptist: “For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother’s womb.” (Luke 1:15). Clearly, God views the unborn as human and precious.
From the human standpoint man does not know the potential of the life that is blotted out by abortion. Had abortion been legalized and condoned in early times, the world would no doubt have lost the contribution of some of its greatest minds and talents.
CONSIDER SOME OTHER SIGNIFICANT STATISTICS RELATING TO ABORTION:
- Abortion is not the “safe procedure” its advocates claim it to be. More mothers die from the complications of legal abortions each year than died from illegal abortions in all previous years.
- In many areas of our country abortions actually outnumber live births.
- 1,500,000 to 2,000,000 babies are aborted annually.
- 98% of abortions are for reasons other than rape, incest, or the mother’s life.
- 40% of abortions are performed on women who have aborted other babies previously.
- One third of abortions are performed on teenagers without their parents’ knowledge or consent.
- The heart of an unborn baby begins to beat at 18 days after conception.
- 2 million American couples are waiting to adopt babies.
If America is to be spared the judgment of God, it must repent of this great evil and restore Constitutional protection to the unborn. (Proverbs 14:34: Righteousness exalteth a nation: but sin is a reproach to any people.)
On the individual level, there is forgiveness for involvement in the sin of abortion. Through the sacrifice of Jesus Christ, God may justly forgive those who come to Him in repentance and faith. (1 Corinthians 6:11: And such were some of you: but ye are washed, but ye are sanctified, but ye are justified in the name of the Lord Jesus, and by the Spirit of our God.)